17/05/2014

Day 39. Kinesio Taping





I am staying at Schwarzenerden, an academy for ergotherapy and fysiotherapy, in the Rhön mountains, 20 kilometer from Fulda. The main building was designed and built by Walter Gropius, the founder of the Bauhaus. In the morning I was introduced to kinesio taping, a "taping technique that is designed to facilitate the body’s natural healing process while providing support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the body’s range of motion as well as providing extended soft tissue manipulation to prolong the benefits of manual therapy".* The teacher explained how it isn't just functional, helping your body, but that it is art as well. When you see what
it looks like, these coloured stripes in specific shapes taped on your body, you know what he means. It made me think of Henri Matisse, his works with colourful cut out shapes. And Versace did a show ones with models wearing this tape. Men in suits, colour patterns peeping out under their sleeves.*
Amazing to realize I only ended up here by coincidence because I was thrown out of my apartment in Fulda. Bad events not seldom lead to good events.

The girls I am staying with are being trained to become proper physiotherapists. They arranged for me to get a small introduction into kinesio taping.

In the evening I discover they are already master pizza bakers. We eat them outside in the garden, overlooking the beautiful Rhön.


www.kinesiataping.com
http://dismagazine.com/blog/47512/versace-takes-on-sports-injuries/
www.schwarzenerden.de



1 comment: